[b] Boer War Memorial Plaque:

A marble plaque and memorial cross commemorates the lives of two men who lost their lives during the Boer War on the same day, 30th May 1900, at Faberspruit (Faber Sprott), Cape Colony, South Africa.

Staff Sergeant Francis Henry NEWDIGATE, Royal Army Medical Corps, was born in April 1852 in Redbourn, Piesang Valley, Plettenberg Bay, Cape Colony, South Africa, the son of William Henry and Caroline (née Duffie) Newdigate.

On the 1st February 1890 William married Katharine Caroline Barrington, daughter of Hon. Henry Frederick Francis Adair and Mary Georgiana (née Knox) Barrington, at Rondebosch Church, Cape Town, South Africa, and in the next 10 years they had five children. After William's death Katharine remarried, Lt.-Col. James Meredith Maurice. Francis was 48 years old when he was killed in action.

Also named on this Memorial plaque is Trooper 13197 Percy CHATTERTON, 52nd Company, 19th
Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry (Paget's Horse). Percy was 21 years old when he was killed in action.
He was awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal with the Cape Colony clasp. No record can be found
on UK Censuses or Birth Indices, so maybe, like Francis above, he was also born in South Africa.

[Read more about the Battle on the Canadian War Museum website.]

                                     a full account of the Battle, in which the British lost 15 men killed in action, including a
                                     Map of the action.


However, quite why the Memorial to these two men is in St John's Church has not been established. Neither name appears on the town Boer War Memorial in Buxton Town Hall.

 
poppy
St JOHN the BAPTIST CHURCH, BUXTON:

St John the Baptist's Church was built to the west of the Old Hall about 1811, probably by John White. It has an east entrance portico with Tuscan Columns, closed in to form a chancel in 1896-7 by Blomfield and Son. (see photo below) The domed top of the tower has 'no parallel in the normal neo-classical church types of 1810-20.' (Pevsner)

White's Gazetteer and General Directory of “Sheffield and 20 miles round”, 1862: "The Church (St. John) is at Lower Buxton, in Fairfield township. It is a handsome structure, in the Tuscan order, and was erected in 1812. The east front has large columns which support a massive pediment, and on the west is raised a beautiful tower, which is seen for a considerable distance." In fact the Church was opened on the 9th August 1812.


The date on the pediment is 'MDCCCXI' (1811), when St John the Baptist Church replaced the old parochial chapel of 1625, now St Anne, but was then dedicated to St John the Evangelist.

Until 1898 Buxton was a chapelry of Bakewell. In 1905, Fernilee and part of Fairfield, previously in the parish of Hope were added, but since the 1970s it has been united with Burbage and King Sterndale.

Kelly's Directory of 1912 notes that both St Anne, and St John's churchyards are closed to burials, “except in the case of those who already have vaults there”.

St. John's east entrance before enclosure of the portico
Present day St. John's - the entrance is now at the far (west) end
The postcard on the right shows the newly opened entrance on the western end of the Church - still the entrance today [2014].

The same image also shows the graveyard in front of the Church entrance, but, as stated above, the churchyard was not accepting new burials by 1912, so no World War 1 casualties are buried there.

By 1914, the church was virtually as we see it today, apart from the south transept. The memorial window was added after the First World War.

N.B. Read more about "The History of St John the Baptist, Buxton"
St John's Church Memorials:

War Memorials inside St John's Church fall into three main categories:

1: Stained Glass Window and Memorial Chapel: with name plaques and unveiled in 1926, commemorating Great War casualties;

2: Limestone Tablet in Memorial Chapel: commemorates the dead from World War 2;

3: Individual Memorials: to persons and groups from the town, mounted at various points around the nave and chancel:

       [a] Holmleigh School Memorial

       [b] F. H. Newdigate & P. Chatterton - Boer War Memorial Plaque

       [c] Lt. Francis Codrington Nation - Memorial Plaque to the son of a former Vicar of Buxton

       [d] Charles William Dellor Osmond, R.N. - Memorial Brass Plaque

       [e] Lt. Jerry Knowles Garnett - Memorial Plaque

       [f] Lt. W. L. Brown and Lt. C. A. Brown - Memorial Plaque to brothers killed in World War 1.




1. Stained Glass Window and Memorial Chapel:

The main World War 1 Memorial in St John the Baptist's Church is a stained glass window, dating from 1926, depicting St George, Christ and Mary, in the Chapel of St Michael and St George [also know as 'The Lady Chapel'].

On stone panels either side of the window, and with an inscription at the bottom, are the 98 names of the war dead, on gold leaf engraved in black.

The chapel is separated from the main body of the Church by an oak screen surmounted by a mourning figure, unveiled in 1937.
IN FRANCE
BOMB ALFRED ASHWORTH
LCECPL  JOHN J. BARRETT
PTE WILLIAM W. BERESFORD
SGT WILLIAM BROOMHEAD
LT CECIL L. BROWN
LT WILLIAM E. BRUNT
PTE SYDNEY CLAYTON
CAPT H.R. DRUMMOND-FRASER
PTE ALFRED EVANS
CPL THOMAS  H. FARLAM
PTE BENJAMIN FEARN
SGT WILLIAM FOWLES
LCE SGT THOMAS J. GREEN
SPR JOSEPH E. HARRISON
PTE GUY S. HEWITT
LT S.M. BYERS HILL
PTE FRED HOLMES
PTE BRUCE HORN
DVR HAROLD HOY
PTE PERCIVAL INNES
LT COL CYRIL B. JOHNSON
PTE JAMES W. JOPLING
PTE SYDNEY T. KEELING
PTE JOHN H. KIEL
PTE MAURICE LAIT
PTE ALFRED LEDGER
PTE WALTER LIMER
LT ARCHIBALD E.R. LINEKER
CPL JOSEPH LLOYD
LT  EVELYN G. LORD
PTE CLIFFORD W. MELLOR

PTE JOHN C. WHEATLEY
2ND LT ARTHUR G.R. WHITWORTH
PTE FRANCIS C. WILLIAMS
PTE ARTHUR WILLIAMSON
PTE ERNEST WILLIAMSON
PTE WILLIAM A. WINCH
LCE CPL CHARLES WOODWARD
LCE CPL CLIFFORD WOODWARD
CAPT JOHN A. YOUNG

IN BELGIUM
PTE WILLIAM E.G. BAGSHAW
CAPT JOHN F. HORSFIELD
PTE GEORGE MITCHELL
SGT WILLIAM C. PERKIN
SGT HARRY PLANT
PTE GEORGE W, ROBINSON
LCE CPL JOHN SELLORS
PTE GEORGE E. SHELDON
PTE SYDNEY SKELLINGTON
PTE WALTER SKIDMORE
PTE CHARLES H. SMITH
PTE ARTHUR STALEY
SGT ROBERT STARKEY
PTE JASPER A. WHEELDON

IN GALLIPOLI
LT GERRY K. GARNETT
TPR WILLIAM GREGORY
DAVID OSMUND  R.F.R.  R.N.
BRIG  GEN W. SCOTT-MONCRIEFF
MAJOR HAROLD SHAW



SGT JOSEPH R. MILLWARD
PTE CHARLES MYCOCK
PTE GEORGE W. MYCOCK
SPR JAMES MYCOCK
PTE JOHN R. NICHOLS
LT  ARTHUR W. H. PLANT
LT ARTHUR T. RAILTON
PTE ALAN REDFERN
PTE JOHN R. RILEY
CAPT  DONALD ROBINSON
PTE JOHN M. ROBINSON

IN E. AFRICA
CAPT THOMAS DE LA MOTTE
CAPT  A.L. DE COURCEY STRETTON
CMDNT T.H. SHAW
IN MESOPOTAMIA
LT  WALTER PEARSON
CAPT CLAUDE H.S. VAUDREY
IN N. PERSIA, ITALY, GERMANY 
AND PALESTINE
PTE LIONEL BROWN
PTE WILLIAM GOODWIN



PTE HAROLD SHACKLEFORD
PTE GEORGE SIMS
PTE BRIAN H. SMITH
CAPT  DUNCAN G. SMITH
CPL  FRANCIS G. SPENCER
CPL  FRANK STANBRIDGE
PTE GEORGE G. SYKES
CAPT NORMAN VAUDREY
LT  COL ERNEST J. WALTHEW
PTE ALFRED WARDLE
CPL WILLIAM WEBSTER

2ND  LT WALLACE MCQUINN
PTE WILLIAM LUFF
AT SEA
SPR ARTHUR KITCHEN
LT PAYMR LOUIS NEEDHAM  R.N.R.
CLIFFORD EVANS  MARC OFF
SUB LT H. STAVELY P. SHAW  R.N.
IN GREAT BRITAIN
PTE ALBERT BRAMWELL
2ND LT JAMES A. HOWE
PTE TOM C. WILSON
GNR JOHN GOODWIN
St John's Church Name Plaques
[Left Side]
 
Either side of the Memorial Window are six gold panels bearing the names of 98 men of the Parish, who gave their lives in The Great War. They are divided into the various 'Theatres of War' and within these subdivisions, in alphabetical order, including rank.

All but 6 of the names listed also appear on the Memorial on The Slopes, Buxton, and some on other Memorials around the town. The Service Records for the other 92 men can be accessed via the alphabetical name index at the top of the page.
The 6 names NOT on The Slopes Memorial are as follows, their Memorial pages have, however, been added to the site:

Capt. Harold (Haddo) Reginald DRUMMOND-FRASER - Cheshire Regiment
 
Stoker Petty Officer Charles EVANS - Royal Navy (HMS Monmouth)     

Capt. Donald ROBINSON -  [not found] 

Brig. Gen. William SCOTT-MONCRIEFF - Commanding 156th (Scottish Rifles) Brigade      

Capt. Duncan Galloway SMITH - Royal Engineers    and      

Pte. Arthur STALEY - West Yorkshire Regiment

[Canon Charles Elliott Scott-Moncrieff dedicated The Slopes Memorial - Brig-Gen William Scott-Moncrieff was the older brother of the Buxton Clergyman.]
this list of names from the St John's Memorial
2. Limestone Tablet in Memorial Chapel:

After the Second World War a rectangular white limestone tablet with Crucifix at the centre and an incised inscription, measuring approximately 60 cm high and 90 cm wide, was placed on the on the back wall of the St Michael and St George Chapel (Lady Chapel) .

It bears the names of 41 Second World War dead and shows both the surname and forename of each casualty.
[N.B. These men have not, as yet, been researched on this site.]

 
3. Individual Memorials:

The Church contains a number of Memorials to persons and groups from the town, mounted at various points around the nave and chancel:
 
[a] The Holmleigh Memorial:

At the end of the Great War a Memorial to the former pupils of School who
were among the fallen was placed in the Church.

At the end of World War 2 the Memorial was added to with the names of
those who fell in that conflict.

Situated on the west wall of the nave, to the right of the Chapel of St Michael
and St George (also known as the Lady Chapel), the Memorial consists of an
oak wall plaque containing silver plates, each engraved with the name and
Regiment of each of the School's War dead.

[N.B. Full details of the Memorial, including a list of those named on it, can
be seen on the "Buxton Schools" page of this site.]
 
[c] Lt. Francis Codrington Nation:

A marble decorated wall plaque, engraved in incised black lettering, is located on the north wall of the north transept, commemorating Lieutenant Francis Codrington NATION, 102nd Battalion, Royal Field Artillery, "At Rest"  9th April 1908, aged 26.

The Memorial is headed "UBIQUE" ("everywhere" and the Regimental Motto). At the base of the Memorial Plaque is the legend:

WHERE  I  AM  THERE  SHALL
ALSO  MY  SERVANT  BE

Francis was born in Pontefract, Yorkshire, on the 2nd March 1882, the son of Rev. Charles Codrington and Magdalene Altha (née Cummings) Nation.
He married Marjorie Dixon in the December quarter 1901, in Macclesfield, Cheshire. They had one son, Kenneth Dixon Codrington Nation.

.

 
In 1891 (Census RG 12/2331) 9 year old Francis was boarding at Elmsdale School, Great Malvern, Worcestershire. The 1901 Census (RG 13/1015) shows him as a 2/Lieut, R.F.A. and a 'Boarder' at the Hilsea Barracks, Cosham, Hampshire.

Francis' father was Vicar of Buxton, taking up his incumbency in 1893, hence the Memorial Plaque in the Church. He was still in post until 1911 (Census RG 14/21243). His son, Francis, died on the 9th April 1908 and his death was registered in Devonport, although the circumstances are not known. The gates currently at the entrance to the Church from St John's Road, are a Memorial to the Rev. Charles Nation.

 
[d] A.B. Charles William Dellor Osmond:

A Brass plaque, commemorating Able Seaman 226286 Charles William Dellor OSMOND, H.M.S. Victory, engraved in black incised lettering, is mounted on the South wall to the rear of the nave.

Charles was the son of Walter and Charlotte Osmond of Grange Rd., Buxton, and died on the 8th November 1919, aged 32. He is buried in Grave 2082, Buxton Cemetery.

[N.B. Full details of the Charles' personal and Service life can be seen on the 'Charles William Dellor OSMOND' page of this site.]
 
[e] Lt. William Leonard Brown and Lt. Cecil Arthur Brown:

On rear south wall of nave of the Church is a grey marble wall plaque, inset with white marble, engraved in incised black lettering, to the Memory of two Buxton Officer brothers who gave their lives in The Great War. Both served together in the same 6th Battalion and Brass badges of their Sherwood Forester Regiment are attached to each side of the Memorial.

The brothers were the sons of Major Abraham (Solicitor) and Lucie Brown, of 20 Hardwick Street, Buxton. William was killed in action on the 25th September 1915, aged 23, and Cecil on the 23rd April 1917, also aged 23.

[N.B. Full details of the two brothers' personal and Service lives can be seen on the 'Lt. William Leonard Brown' and
'Lt. Cecil Arthur Brown' pages of this site.]




[d] Lt. Jerry Knowles Garnett:

On north wall at rear of nave is a marble decorated wall plaque, inset with mosaic of St George, engraved in incised black lettering, to commemorate Lt Jerry Knowles GARNETT, Royal Field Artillery, 3rd East Lancs Brigade, who died, in Hospital on Malta, on the 6th November 1915, aged 20. 

In her book, "Testament Of Youth", Vera Brittain describes visiting his grave and sending a flower back to his parents. Jerry Garnett was a close friend of Vera's brother, Captain Edward Harold Brittain, who is also commemorated on this site.

As well as the St. George mosaic, Jerry's Memorial bears his Regimental crest and the following details:

"JERRY  KNOWLES  GARNETT
LT  3RD  EAST LANCS BRIGADE  R.F.A. (T.F.)
BORN 16 APRIL 1895  DIED 6 NOV. 1915
IN HOSPITAL IN MALTA OF ENTERIC
FEVER CONTRACTED  WHILE ON ACTIVE
SERVICE AT THE DARDENELLES & WAS
BURIED IN THE PIETA CEMETERY MALTA.

"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT
A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS."



 
[N.B. Full details of the Jerry's personal and Service life can be seen on the 'Jerry Knowles GARNETT' page of this site.]
Below the window, on a separate brass plaque, is inscribed:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE IMMORTAL MEMORY OF THOSE RESIDENT IN OR CONNECTED
WITH THE PARISH OF BUXTON WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT
WAR AUGUST 4 IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1914 - JUNE 28 1919 THIS WINDOW IS DEDICATED
GOD ASKED OF ENGLISH HOMES A COSTLY SACRIFICE
FOR TRUTH AND JUSTICE THESE UNGRUDGING PAID THE PRICE R. I. P.
St John's Church Name Plaques
[Right Side]
Sources:
· I am grateful to Chris Preston and Richard Clarke, Derby and Derbyshire War Memorials Project [Derbyshire War Memorials] for
  the photos of Memorials from St John's Church, Buxton