poppy
Buxton Cottage Hospital Extension:

The photograph on the right - from an original postcard - was taken on the 28th April 1920, and refers to the opening of the Cottage Hospital on London Road, Buxton, by the Duchess of Devonshire. However, the Buxton Cottage Hospital had been in its present location since 1911, so this photo must refer to the opening of the extension.

The Duchess - presumably the figure here with the bouquet - was Evelyn Emily Mary Cavendish (née Petty-FitzMaurice) (1870-1960), the wife of the 9th Duke, Victor Cavendish.

 
 
Other Buxton Memorials:

In addition to the main Buxton War Memorials described on other pages, there are a number of other Memorials worthy of mention:

1: Buxton Cottage Hospital Extension: opened in 1924 as the second part of the public subsciption appeal which also built the town Memorial on The Slopes.

2: Buxton Congregational Church Memorial: commemorates 9 men from World War 1 and 6 from World War 2.

3: Buxton Library Memorial: in the old Kents Bank School building.

4: Peak Dale Memorial: contains many of the names of men on the Buxton Lime Industries Memorial.

5: Brandside War Memorial: contains names of some men employed in the limestone quarries to the west of Buxton.




'The Buxton Advertiser' of Saturday, 25th September 1920 when reporting, in great details the unveiling on the previous Saturday, the 18th, "... with impressive ceremonial."., concluded its account with the words:

"This will complete one part of the Buxton War Memorial Scheme. The other part is the extension of the Cottage Hospital." It seems that this commitment was fulfilled though not for another four years.
Buxton United Reform [Congregational] Church:

The origins of the present Buxton United Reformed Church can be traced to a Congregational Church in Spring Gardens, built by subscription, but by 1861 its congregation had raised funds to build a church. Kelly's Directory of 1932 refers to this Church as being in Hardwick Mount, and a building in the "Decorated Gothic style, with a tower and spire at the south-west angle, and 500 sittings".

This building has since been demolished and the church currently worships in a former Sunday school, on Hardwick Square East, which dates from 1881.

The "Congregational Church Memorial", as it was initially, is a wooden plaque bearing the names of nine Great War and six Second War casualties who were members of the congregation.


Buxton Congregational Church, built in 1861
Buxton United Reform Church, which currently contains the Memorial
Buxton Library:

The Library is housed in the former Kents Bank School, which has its own Memorial for former pupils lost in the Second World War. More pictures of the Memorial can be seen on the "Kents Bank School Memorial Archive".

In addition, however, there is a Memorial Plaque to one of Buxton Library's former employees - although at the time he worked there the Library was housed  in the Town Hall.

The Buxton Free Public Library & Museum moved into the Peak Hydropathic Hotel, on Terrace Road, in 1928. During the First World War, the Red Cross used it to care for wounded Canadian soldiers.

Buxton Library's next move was into the eastern end of The Crescent, before moving to its present location after Kent's Bank School closed in 1982.


Pt. 40926 George MITCHELL, 1st Battalion, Leicester Regiment, was killed in action on the 11th September 1917. George was employed as a 'Library Assistant - Public', and although the Library was not in its present location at that time, a Plaque in his honour can now be found inside the current building.

[See: Pt. George MITCHELL's page on this site for more information about his life and service.]
Peak Dale Memorial:

The small village of Peak Dale, which is divided almost in two by the former
Midland Railway, comprises Upper End on the west side of the railway and
Smalldale on the east. Both were built to house quarrymen in the days when
the stone was largely hewn from the quarries by hand, and so the village
was composed mostly of small stone cottages and are surrounded by
limestone quarries. In the 19th century, families were attracted to live in
the area by the prospect of employment in the quarries.

The village War Memorial stands in a Garden of Remembrance, Peak Dale,
nr. Buxton and contains the names of 28 casualties from World War 1,
engraved in black on three sides of a granite obelisk, about 3.5 m. high, on
a pedestal and two-step base, about 1.0 m. square. A wreath and a ribbon
with dates inside it are in relief. An additional seven names of Second World
War dead have been added around the base.

'The Buxton Advertiser', printed on the 10th April 1920, reported in some
detail on the unveiling of the Memorial: "... on Good Friday afternoon."
[i.e. the 2nd April 1920.] The Memorial was unveiled by Col. Goodman and
Dedicated by Rev. J Stainer-Wilkinson.





Peak Dale War Memorial

© Copyright Neil Theasby and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence.

1914 - 1919

ERECTED
BY
PEAKDALE, AND DISTRICT
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN
WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE
GREAT WAR
ALSO AS AN APPRECIATION TO
ALL MEN WHO SERVED




M.L. SALT
J.T. BRADWELL
H.J. BOAM
S.J. BYATTE
J.H. BLACKBURN
C. MORTEN
W. CROSSLAND





J.U. FERRIS
J.E. MIDDLETON
R.L. HOWE
S. ALLCOCK
H. BENNETT
W. BOOTH
P. HASSALL
E.H. TAYLOR
G.L. JACKSON
J.A. TRASK




J.T. MASON
D. MULLINS
R. HOPWOOD
S.H. YATES
T. ALLCOCK
T. SIDEBOTTOM
G. PEARSON
J. PEARSON
J.W. TURNER


1939 - 1945

"THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"



E. JARVIS
H. JACKSON
G. COOKE



R. BAGSHAW


R. GREGORY
A. BEVERLEY
J. BRITTAIN

N.B. Of the above names the following appear on the private War Memorial at British Lime Industries, Tunstead Quarry, Buxton:

S. Allcock;  J.H. Boam;  W. Booth;  J..T. Bradwell;  S.J. Byatte;  P. Hassall;  R. Hopwood;   D. Mullins;  G. Pearson;  J.  Pearson;  M. Salt;  T. Sidebottom;  E.H. Taylor;  J. Trask   &  R. Yates.  [Great War]  and  R. Bagshaw.  [Second World War]


Private Robert YATES, 3rd Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment, is the only name
on the Peak Dale Memorial to be included on The Slopes Memorial, Buxton.

Robert is buried in the graveyard of the now disused Holy Trinity Church,
Peak Dale. There is one other CWGC burial in the Churchyard - that of
32 year old, Spr. 250074 Stephen Tyrrell, Royal Engineers, who died
on the 21st August 1921.

Another Buxton casualty Spr. 32291 George Warrington is also commemorated
on his wife and son's grave in the Churchyard. He was lost at sea on the way to
Egypt and is commemorated on the Chatby Memorial.



Holy Trinity Church, Peak Dale
Brandside Memorial:

Brand End, Brand Side and Brand Top are a number of tiny hamlets located in the Parish of Hartington Upper Quarter about 5 kms. west of Buxton, 2 kms west of Harpur Hill.  In 1901 Brandside, Hill Top, Brand End and Dove Head had a combined population of about 150.

The Brandside War Memorial covers a small area of farms close to Buxton in Derbyshire. This dignified and substantial War Memorial was unveiled in 1919 and is set in a walled enclosure at the end of a country lane.

The memorial is for just twelve farm and quarry workers from the local area who died in the First World War and one man from the Second World War. 






 
Four of the men on the Brandside Memorial also appear on the Buxton Slopes Memorial and their Service histories are included in this site. Click the name below to read their pages:

These four are:              Pt. 64162 William Edwin Bennett;      Pt. 33626 Frank Fin(d)low

                                    Pt. 243481 Matthew Sweetmore;  and   Pt. 26188 Jasper A. Wheeldon.

The other eight men are not, as yet, covered in this site.


World War 2: 

Brandside Memorial also bears the name of one Second
World War casualty - Pt. 4344897 Francis Walter MORRIS, who was
killed in action on the 6th May 1944.






Sources:
· I am grateful to Chris Preston and Richard Clarke, Derby and Derbyshire War Memorials Project [Derbyshire War Memorials] for
  the photos of Brandside Memorial, Buxton



The nine men of the Congregation who gave their lives in The Great War all have pages on this site, and for more details about their lives and Service CLICK the name below or the alphabetical index at the top of the page:

L/Cpl. 20080 Harold Brookes DAWSON - 7th Bn., Manchester Regiment

Spr. WR/290477 Frank FURNESS - Royal Engineers

Pt. 1814 Ernest GOODWIN - 10th Bn., Sherwood Foresters Regiment

Dr. 241664 Harold  HOY - 2/6th Bn., Sherwood Foresters Regiment

L/Cpl. G/6024 Percival INNES - 3rd Bn., Middlesex Regiment

Gnr. 73543 William JACKSON - Royal Field Artillery

Capt. Howard LISTER, D.S.O., M.C. - Royal Army Medical Corps

Spr. 908045 George RAYNS - Canadian Engineers

Pt. 40290 Percy WOOD - Royal Army Medical Corps
The Church had a further six men of the Congregation who gave their lives in The Second World War. These Service details of these men are not currently covered on this site, but CLICK their names below for information from the CWGC website:


Lt. 232839 Henry Noel BEADLE - 67th Field Regiment, Royal Artillery

Sub. Lt. Neville Gordon CREGAN - H.M.S. Daedalus, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve [Buried in Buxton Cemetery]    

L/Cpl. 2762352 Frank DAVEY - 6th Bn., Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Sgt. 1078078 George Beardmore MYCOCK - 158 Sqd. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 
     [N.B. George was the nephew of George William MYCOCK, who is commemorated on this site.]

Pt. 952735 Arthur SIDDALL - Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

Pt. 4977463 John SUTTON - 2/5th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)