Company Sergeant Major Ernest Brownridge GARSIDE
(Shown as "Private" on The Memorial)

Manchester Regiment
[Formerly: 3rd Liverpool Regiment]
1st/8th (Ardwick) Battalion
Service Number:
[Formerly: 5003,
  3rd Liverpool Regiment]
Date of Death:
7 August 1915 - Killed in Action
Cemetery / Memorial:
Memorial Reference:
Panel 158 - 170
Long Service Medal
Queen's South Africa Medal [1 clasp]
King's South Africa Medal

Personal History:

Ernest (Brownridge) was born in Longsight, Manchester on 28th January 1881 (Census RG 11/3906), the oldest son of Robert Brownridge (Railway Engine Driver) and Louisa (née Burston) Garside. 

Later Ernest's parents moved, presumably because of his father's job, to Buxton, and by 1891 the family were living at 9 London-Northwester Cottages, with a younger son, Arnold Egerton. (Census RG 12/2778) Later the family moved to 1 Railway Cottages, Buxton (1911 Census RG 14/21236). Ernest attended Fairfield School and was one of the first to gain a scholarship to New Mills Secondary School.

At the time of his Attestation in 1899 Ernest was 5 ft 8¼ ins. (1.73 m.) tall and weighed 8 st. 7 lbs. (54.0 kgs.). He had a sallow complexion, grey eyes and light brown hair.  He gave his religion as "Church of England".
By 1901 (Census RG 13/3674) Ernest had returned to Manchester and was lodging with the Livesley family at 59 Tipping Street, Ardwick. On July 29th 1903 Ernest married Delia Lynch, giving his occupation as "Cabinet Maker", and they lived at 51 Alderman Street, Ardwick, Manchester. In 1908 he and Daisy lived at 5 Kay Street, Chorlton on Medlock.

At the time of the 1911 Census (RG 14/23717) Delia was living there with their two sons, Ernest Brownridge and Robert L. However, Ernest was living at 17 Mellor Street, Ardwick, with his daughters, 2 years old Dorothy and 3 month old Lotta, (Census RG 14/23723), employed by Messrs. E. Brabury and Sons, Shops, Offices and Bank Fitters. A third daughter, Elsie, was born in 1913.After Ernest's death the firm wrote a letter of condolence to Ernest's father, Robert, which 'The Buxton Advertiser' printed on 11th September 1915:

"We take the opportunity of expressing to you our sympathy as the loss of so gallant a son; these sentiments are shared by his fellow workers, over whom his death has cast a gloom. Your son has been in our employment for some years now, and, since he was called to serve in the Forces, we have watched his movements with interest, and his death in action has caused us great sorrow.

We feel for you in your sad bereavement. We might mention to you that Mr Fred Bradbury saw him in the Dardanelles a very short time before he met his death. … "

Ernest's will was made out to his wife Delia of 6 Crane Street, Ardwick, Manchester, and Probate Records show his estate valued at £205 10s 11d [£205.55] - a relative value of about £14,370.00 today [2014]. She died in August 1953, age 76, and was buried in Southern Cemetery on the 13th August, in the Non-conformist section, grave number G1323. At the time of her death Delia was living at Chester Road, Poynton, Cheshire.

Military History:
Ernest served during the Boer War in the Queen's Own Regiment, based in Liverpool, and attested on the 9th December 1899, aged 18 years 10 months. He was awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal [1 clasp - Cape Colony] and the King's South Africa Medal. He was promoted to Corporal on the 15th September 1900; to L/Sergeant on the 26th December 1901, and to Sergeant on the 1st February 1902.

Ernest's World War 1 Service Papers have not survived the ravages of Second World War bombing, but his early entry into the War must indicate he remained a Territorial Soldier, backed-up by 'The Buxton Advertiser' who reported that he had been a member of the Volunteer Force since 1903

The 1st/8th (Ardwick) Battalion of the Manchester Regiment had been formed in August 1914, in Ardwick, part of the Manchester Brigade, East Lancashire Division. The East Lancashire Division was a formation of the Territorial Force, one of 14 Divisions of the peacetime T.F. All units were mobilised for full time war service on 5 August 1914.

It initially moved to near Rochdale, before being posted abroad, and was the first Territorial Force Division to move overseas. The Division was warned on the 5th September 1914 that it would be sent to Egypt and four days later it began to embark at Southampton, the first contingent sailing on the 10th September and on the 25th September 1914 landed at Alexandria in Egypt. Ernest was with his Battalion at that time, as is backed up by his Medal Index Card, which shows he landed on that date.

The Division's first task was to move into the Canal Zone in October to protect the Suez Canal from Turkish forces gathering in Palestine. There were 70,000 British troops in Egypt by January 1915. Many of these were in units of the Indian Army. The first Turkish attack on the Suez Canal came on the 3rd February 1915 when the Turkish infantry approached the east bank in the early hours. However, the Turks lost 1,500 troops in this action.

Once this first threat had subsided, Ernest's Division remained in the Canal Zone, until ordered to reinforce the beleaguered garrison on Gallipoli. Ordered to embark from Alexandria on the 1st May 1915. 'A' and 'B' Companies entrained at 11.15 p.m. on the 2nd, 'C' and 'D' Companies following at 2.00 a.m. the next morning. The two arrived at Alexandria at 5.15 a.m. and 8.00 a.m. respectively and embarked on the M.T. Ionian and M.Y Cuthbert at 3.00 p.m. The 1/7th Manchesters were also on board.

On the 6th May 1915 the ships anchored for the night off Kaba Teke and on the 7th Ernest was one of the 14,224 men of the Division landed at Cape Helles, on Gallipoli. The Battalion held trenches taking a steady flow of casualties, as reported in the War Diary. Each day seemed to record 1 or 2 killed, 3 or 4 wounded. As the month progressed the casualties increased; on the 30th May, for example: "18 killed, 22 wounded" and the following day: "12 killed, 12 wounded". On the 26th May 1915 the Battalion became part of the 127th Brigade, 42nd (East Lancashire) Division. The situation continued throughout July with: "13 killed, 27 wounded".

Between the 6th -13th August Ernest's 1/8 Battalion took part in what became known officially as the Battle of Krithia Vineyard, which gives some impression of the relatively small areas being so violently contested. It was undertaken not only to try to capture ground but to divert Turk attention from a large British landing further up the coast at Suvla Bay; an enterprise which failed and ultimately led to the decision to evacuate the hopeless position on Gallipoli.

During this action at Krithia Vineyard, on the 7th August 1915 Ernest was one of 49 men of his Battalion killed, with a further 8 later dying of wounds. The Battalion had relieved the 6th Battalion in the firing line at 6.00 p.m. on the 4th August. "All was quiet in the Turkish trenches during the night".

"6th August: 29th Division and 5th Manchester Regt. attacked from left centre of our position. At 3 p.m. we made a demonstration by opening a rapid fire on enemies trenches for 3 mins. then hoisted dummy figures over the parapet with a view to keeping the enemy engaged. The dummies were riddled. Our movement was not a success as the 29th Div. & Manch. Regt. gained no ground. 1 killed, 7 wounded"

On the day Ernest died - the 7th - the Diary went on: "The 42nd Division (ours) was ordered to assault & occupy the Turkish trenches up to and including line (Reference Trench Map) The attack will be carried out Aug. 7th 1915.

The Battalion was under of Lt. Col Pilkington, 6th Manchester Regt. owing to both Battalions being so weak they were joined together for the purpose of this operation." The Diary then lists the Officers in charge of each Company and their specific objectives, before concluding the day: "The whole of 'C' Coy under Captain Norman were ordered to support the 7th Manchester Regt. on western side of Krithia Nullah (ravine or gully). Brigade gained no ground. Fusilier Bde. on our right succeeded in taking the vineyard. - Killed: 2 Officers; Missing: 4 Officers; Wounded: 1 Officer.  Other Ranks: Killed: 16; Missing: 49; Wounded 75" The Officers who died were Lt. Alan BOWEN and 2/Lt. Walter NORRIS.

Heavy fighting continued the following day and the Battalion stayed in the line until the 12th when it was relieved by the 9th Manchesters.

The 'Buxton Advertiser', 11th September 1915, reported:

"We learn that since proceeding to the fighting zone the conduct of the late soldier had been most exemplary, and he had been congratulated by his General. In a recent letter home Coy-Sergt. Major Garside said that he was about to be made a Lieutenant, but that was his last letter, soon afterwards he was killed."

C.S.M. Ernest Garside has no known grave and is commemorated on the HELLES MEMORIAL

The panels on the Helles Memorial are made from Hopton Wood Stone, quarried in the Peak district in Derbyshire. It is a stone chosen for its purity and hardness and favoured by architects and stone masons for centuries. Some of Britain's most famous buildings used Hopton Wood stone. It was chosen by the IWGC (now CWGC) as one of the primary sources of stone for its panels, memorials and headstones, and shipped tens of thousands of tons of stones all over the world in the aftermath of WWI for the cemeteries, including Gallipoli.

· 'Buxton Advertiser' - 11th September 1915
· I am grateful to Steve Morse for the photo of Ernest's name on the Helles Memorial
· I am also grateful to Keith Roberts for the War Diary extracts
· ..... and also to Ernest's grandson, David Garside, for the picture on the right.
· Accompanying notes are from contributors to the 'Manchester Regiment Forum'.

Link to CWGC Record
The British Memorial at Helles
CSM Ernest Garside
CSN Garside's name on the Helles Memorial
At the time this photo was taken The Helles Memorial was about to undergo restoration work
Long Service Medal
... about the history of 42nd (East Lancashire) Division
In this picture of Ernest Garside he is front row second from right.
[The photo bears the name of photographer: "Cowen, Ramsey". The Isle of Man was a popular destination for Territorial summers and, from the style of uniforms, was probably from the 1908 - 1911 period.]